So, if you’re like me and all women everywhere….you’ve received a dozen messages today asking you to donate to some cause for women. I actually wrote this special report last night, honest. I know you just heard from me yesterday, but just like most people choose a coach because they like her shoes, many people choose a cause because they like the cause. So here goes.
Today is International Women’s Day and it fell heavy on my heart to ask what YOUR role is as a leader in this world promoting the success of women. We’ve made tremendous strides. Organizations supporting women, like Polka Dot Powerhouse, eWomen Network and 4word are catapulting in growth. My local women’s chamber has doubled this year. This month, Dhivya Suryadevara will take office as CFO of GM. She is the first female CFO in the automaker’s 110-year history and makes GM one of only two Fortune 500 companies that have both a female CEO and CFO.
We’ve come so far, yet we have so far to go. Did you know
- Women own 10 million businesses in the U.S – that’s 36%
- Only 1.7% have revenues over $1 Million
- Only 12% make more than $100,000
- 70% of women owned firms generate less than $25,000 in revenue
- And women in the workplace are still making 28% less than male peers
How is it that the majority of women-owned businesses in America do not generate a livable wage? A friend approached me at an eWomen Network convention and pulled me aside, “Donna,” she said, “I thought this was a conference of women who are making over a million in revenue. I’m shocked to learn I’m one of only 2% who do!”
What holds us back? That’s what I’ve devoted my whole life to — creating strategies to help women break down barriers and build the agility of mind to live the purpose planted in them. As a volunteer, I invest in 4word because this organization is serious about the same thing.
I’ve been honored with the privilege of serving on the program development committee for a 4word forum where C-level Christian women elevate other women spiritually, intellectually and relationally to make a bold difference in the world. More here. It’s important to me to give back to the women I serve. That’s why I give back 20% of my time to building life and leadership in women.
How are you supporting the forward progress (pun intended) of women in the world? I’d like to encourage you to consider supporting in one of three ways:
- Contact me if you are a female executive woman who is interested in coming to the 4word C-Level Forum in Chicago June 21-23, 2019. Not sure if you qualify? Send me a note.
- Contribute to funding our faculty for this event and cover their costs for volunteering to plan and deliver this program. Give here and I’ll give back a free hour of coaching.
- Create your own story. You will inspire many with how YOU are releasing women into their potential if you let me tell it on my podcast. Yes? Send me a note and pitch your story.
YOU ARE A LEADER and you are born to be the woman you wish to see in the world.